Tuesday, February 1, 2011

WE ALL NEED SUPPORT

No one should grieve alone.  The problem, tho, is that grievers are afraid to ASK for help and friends don't know HOW to help.  Harold Ivan Smith, has wonderful things to say about this topic:
1.  When someone says to you, "You can't understand what I'm going through, because you've never lost a child (spouse, etc.),"  we can then respond with, "I will never understand unless you tell me what it's like to be you."
2.  "Sometimes people tell me......"
3.  Lastly, Dr. Smith asks a poignant question: "When you can't see the cables on a bridge because of fog, you know the supports are still there.  Who are your "cables?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Dallas, TX, United States
I am an educator and consultant, in the field of loss and grief. I love educating others, as well as learning from them, about life's little and big, happy and sad losses: marriage, divorce, moving away, losing one's health, aging gracefully.....or not......death of a loved one, a pet, a dream, children growing up and parents having to let go, etc. etc. Hopefully, you get the picture. Let's laugh, cry and learn together!