Saturday, March 21, 2020

"EVERYTHING WILL BE......"

    Before the world turned upside down and inside out, I had just completed an audiobook, entitled, How To Stop Time by Matt Haig.  The title of my blogpost comes from that book, along with this quote:  "The only way to stop time is to stop being ruled by it. Don't drown in your past or be fearful of your future.  Live NOW!"
    How many of us lived in the now, before the coronavirus actually forced us to do this?  How many of us complained about our busy, out of control lives, but, for some reason, just could not slow down?  Heck, I sometimes thought to myself, "If I could just stay home for a week, without going to the gym and doing everything else that I do everyday, I would get so much done!"  Well, Jo-Ann, be careful what you wish for!  Now, I really miss going to the gym, seeing all of those familiar faces in my classes (not even knowing some of their names, but knowing we are always there together, day in and day out) and having instructors and trainers motivating me, so that I don't have to motivate myself.  Now, it's all up to me.  I know myself.  I will still exercise, but it won't be the same.
   There are so many, many ways in which all of our lives have changed, but we must focus on how our lives have changed for the better, for now.  Of course, I am not talking about the hundreds of businesses, restaurants and personal service people that have lost their shirts!  That is beyond heartbreaking!  I am trying to look at the new opportunities that are presenting themselves to us, things that we never thought of before or if we did, never acted upon.
   We are all trying to adapt to a world that is ever changing under our feet, daily!  That is incredibly difficult, not to mention unsettling.  We have lost the safety and security of the world we knew.  And we are all trying to figure out how to maneuver this new world, wondering whether the changes will be temporary or permanent.
  "What's unfolding now can awaken more opportunities for compassion than ever before.  Suffering can bring out love, wisdom and courage." Tara Brach.  I love all the different ways that I hear my friends and loved ones are connecting with each other, whether it be Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, group texts, etc.  Just because we are physically separate doesn't mean that we should be socially separate.  We need to lean into one another right now, more than ever.  We are human beings and we need connection.
   Lastly, don't forget to take care of YOURSELVES!  Be nurturing to YOU!  Walk outside (actually look at nature, rather than just whizzing on by it!) listen to music,  sing, dance, learn a new instrument via UTube, light a fragrant candle (I just finished melting down a mint chocolate chip one!  Ahhhh!) take online learning courses on topics that interest you (I highly recommend the Great Courses!  They have every topic under the sun!), clean out the junk drawer, read a book, write a book, make a will, write love letters, pick up the phone and call people that you usually only text or email, if at all,  etc. etc.  All of these things and more that you come up with make you feel so much better than just watching the depressing news everyday!  Yes, stay aware of the latest developments, but if you find yourselves starting to get really depressed or angry with your loved ones, it's time to turn off the news and turn on the good vibes.  As I wrote on FB, sit down to meals together, via Skype or FaceTime or Zoom.  It's like going out to dinner together, without actually going out to dinner together!  Ha!
   We will get through this.  Society will change.  We will change.  Change is not a bad thing.  
  "I have lived through this horror and can face whatever else comes along."  Eleanor Roosevelt
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Dallas, TX, United States
I am an educator and consultant, in the field of loss and grief. I love educating others, as well as learning from them, about life's little and big, happy and sad losses: marriage, divorce, moving away, losing one's health, aging gracefully.....or not......death of a loved one, a pet, a dream, children growing up and parents having to let go, etc. etc. Hopefully, you get the picture. Let's laugh, cry and learn together!