Friday, January 4, 2013

TIME

I am listening to the best audiobook right now:  The Timekeeper by Mitch Albom.  I was hooked from the very first sentence, because it is read by a British man with the best voice and coolest accent!!  But the fictional story is so powerful!  I actually had to stop the car and write down some notes and I've only just begun!  Mitch tells us, his readers, to realize how much we keep time:  the year, the week, the day, the hour, our schedule, our dinnertime, when to meet, etc. and then HOW we keep track of time:  digital clocks, cell phone clocks, oven clocks, watches, etc.  Yet, time keeping is ignored by other species.  Dogs don't care if they're late for dinner, birds don't care if they're late flying somewhere.  "Man alone measures time.  Man alone chimes the hour and because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures.......of time running out."  I absolutely cannot wait to get into my car tomorrow and pick up where I left off!  (You would be amazed how fast you can listen to an audiobook, just by running your everyday errands, or going to and from work, in the car!)  Oh, and I saw the book in Costco  today, so if you can't listen to the audio, please pick up the paperback!  I'm sure I will be stopping the car to capture more pearls of wisdom, in a timely fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Dallas, TX, United States
I am an educator and consultant, in the field of loss and grief. I love educating others, as well as learning from them, about life's little and big, happy and sad losses: marriage, divorce, moving away, losing one's health, aging gracefully.....or not......death of a loved one, a pet, a dream, children growing up and parents having to let go, etc. etc. Hopefully, you get the picture. Let's laugh, cry and learn together!